Posts Tagged ‘travel expenses’

Don’t forget your travel expenses form

If you have a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) consultation at one of the Atos Healthcare PIP centres or one of our partners’ centres, remember to collect a form for your expenses while you are there. You should always be offered one with an envelope to return it in (you don’t need to pay the postage).

What you can claim expenses forAtos-Healthcare-travel-expenses

You can claim your travel expenses from your home to the
centre. This includes if you travelled by public transport (bus or train for example) or in a car driven by you or someone you know. We can sometimes pay for you to travel by taxi if you need to, but you need to speak to us as long before the appointment as possible to discuss it as to claim for a taxi it needs to be authorised by us in advance.

You need to make sure that you keep any tickets or receipts that you get for your travel so that you can send them with the form. This includes receipts for parking if you needed to pay for it. If you travelled by car (but not a taxi) you need to say on the form how many miles you travelled. The money you get back is then worked out from that number at 25p per mile.

You can find all of this information and more like it on the Atos Healthcare PIP website. We have explanations on there of all of the parts of the PIP assessment process as well as information about how to get in touch with us if you need to.

Share this post

The PIP assessment process – Continuous Improvement

Atos Healthcare has been assessing people as part of their claims for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for two years now. Over that time we have learned a lot about what works well, and we have identified some areas where improvements might be possible. Whilst we don’t have any control over the design of the assessment itself (that is the DWP), as one of the assessment providers we are responsible for other parts of the assessment process, such as the places that consultations take place in and the ways we communicate about the assessment process with claimants.

Doing things better

We have implemented a number of changes already; including, text message reminders about appointments and developed our YouTube channel as another way for people to find out about the PIP assessment process. We are always considering how we can do things better. This is often a balance that needs to be struck between different options.

Any change we trial is aimed at improving the service we offer for claimants and for DWP. It is important that we carefully consider the balance between the claimant experience in terms of attending a consultation and the overall waiting time. One trial that we are able to tell you about now is how we are looking to change the way we arrange taxis.

Taxi Account


A claimant can request a taxi to their face to face consultation if they are unable to take public transport, but are still able to leave their house. At the moment, if a taxi is approved it is paid for by the claimant and the money claimed back from us through expenses. We are trialling the use of a national taxi account that will charge us directly for the journey, rather than ask the claimant to pay and give them a receipt to claim back.

Currently we are testing this for appointments booked at 5 of our centres; Deptford, Chelmsford, Manchester, Plymouth and Norwich. We need to make sure the process works properly in practice and that there are no unexpected problems. We are likely to extend the number of sites that will have this facility later this year.

Share this post

How to claim travel expenses for Personal Independence Payment consultations

When we require you to attend a consultation centre as part of a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim, Atos Healthcare will pay your travel expenses. We can reimburse the cost of travel from your current address to our consultation centre, and your return journey home.

How to claim

The receptionist at the consultation centre will give you a form to claim your travel expenses.

You should then fill it in and send it back to us in the envelope provided.

Atos-Healthcare-pip-man-travelling-by-busClaiming expenses for different kinds of transport:

Journeys to a PIP consultation by public transport

For journeys taken by public transport please include your tickets with your expenses claim form.

Journeys to a PIP consultation taken by private car

If you travel by car please make a note of the number of miles travelled and enter these on the claim form. We can help pay for the fuel covering your journey at a rate of 25 pence per mile, (this rate is defined by DWP, and may change).

If you have to pay for your parking, we will reimburse the full parking cost when you submit your parking receipt with your travel expense claim form.

Travelling to a PIP consultation by Taxi

Atos-Healthcare-pip-transport-and-travel-taxi-showing-illuminated-signIf you plan to travel to your PIP consultation in a taxi, we may be able to cover your taxi fare, however, this will require prior approval. Payment of taxi fares is likely to be approved if public transport is not available or you are unable to use it. If you intend to travel by taxi, please contact the Customer Service Centre who will tell you if your circumstances mean that payment of taxi fares can be approved. If you choose to travel by taxi without this approval, we may not be able to reimburse the fare.

Bringing a companion to your PIP consultation

You can claim for your travel expenses from your home to the consultation and back home again. If you are bringing a companion, we can also pay their travel expenses.

If you are claiming for your companion’s travel expenses, you will need to include details of their travel expenses and tickets on your own travel expense claim form. You should submit both sets of travel expense receipts when posting your travel expense claim form back to us. Please note that if you are travelling in a private vehicle you can only claim one set of expenses.

More information about bringing a companion to your PIP consultation can be found here.

How we will pay you your expenses

We will pay your expenses into a bank or building society account, or by cheque or giro. Please note that we are unable to pay any travel expenses in advance; nor are we able to pay travel expenses in cash, into a Post Office account, or into a building society account that has a roll number, rather than an account number.

See also:

Taking a companion to your PIP consultation

Claiming travel expenses for you Personal Independence Payment (PIP) consultation

Share this post