Posts Tagged ‘DLA’

How to claim travel expenses for Personal Independence Payment consultations

When we require you to attend a consultation centre as part of a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim, Atos Healthcare will pay your travel expenses. We can reimburse the cost of travel from your current address to our consultation centre, and your return journey home.

How to claim

The receptionist at the consultation centre will give you a form to claim your travel expenses.

You should then fill it in and send it back to us in the envelope provided.

Atos-Healthcare-pip-man-travelling-by-busClaiming expenses for different kinds of transport:

Journeys to a PIP consultation by public transport

For journeys taken by public transport please include your tickets with your expenses claim form.

Journeys to a PIP consultation taken by private car

If you travel by car please make a note of the number of miles travelled and enter these on the claim form. We can help pay for the fuel covering your journey at a rate of 25 pence per mile, (this rate is defined by DWP, and may change).

If you have to pay for your parking, we will reimburse the full parking cost when you submit your parking receipt with your travel expense claim form.

Travelling to a PIP consultation by Taxi

Atos-Healthcare-pip-transport-and-travel-taxi-showing-illuminated-signIf you plan to travel to your PIP consultation in a taxi, we may be able to cover your taxi fare, however, this will require prior approval. Payment of taxi fares is likely to be approved if public transport is not available or you are unable to use it. If you intend to travel by taxi, please contact the Customer Service Centre who will tell you if your circumstances mean that payment of taxi fares can be approved. If you choose to travel by taxi without this approval, we may not be able to reimburse the fare.

Bringing a companion to your PIP consultation

You can claim for your travel expenses from your home to the consultation and back home again. If you are bringing a companion, we can also pay their travel expenses.

If you are claiming for your companion’s travel expenses, you will need to include details of their travel expenses and tickets on your own travel expense claim form. You should submit both sets of travel expense receipts when posting your travel expense claim form back to us. Please note that if you are travelling in a private vehicle you can only claim one set of expenses.

More information about bringing a companion to your PIP consultation can be found here.

How we will pay you your expenses

We will pay your expenses into a bank or building society account, or by cheque or giro. Please note that we are unable to pay any travel expenses in advance; nor are we able to pay travel expenses in cash, into a Post Office account, or into a building society account that has a roll number, rather than an account number.

See also:

Taking a companion to your PIP consultation

Claiming travel expenses for you Personal Independence Payment (PIP) consultation

Share this post

Additional evidence for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

In addition to the information on your ‘How your disability affects you’ form, a Health Professional (HP) can also consider additional evidence that is relevant to your health condition or disability.

What evidence to send with your PIP claim form

Atos-Healthcare-pip-additional-evidence-formYou will be asked on your claim form to provide any evidence you wish us to consider by sending it to the DWP with your completed ‘How your disability affects you’ form.  You will also be asked to nominate the professionals who know best how your conditions affect you.

The DWP will send the evidence you have provided to us when your case is referred.  The evidence could be information about you from your GP, specialist, social worker, occupational therapist, for example, or any other professional who supports you. It might include things like the results of tests, x-rays or scans you’ve had, copies of letters from a consultant or your GP, or anything else you have available which tells us more about how your health conditions affect your daily living.

You need only send in things you already have available. We don’t recommend that you request other documents which might slow down your claim or for which you might be charged a fee. For example, there is no need to ask your GP to write a letter especially for your PIP claim – and GPs may charge a fee for this sort of letter.  If we require information from your GP we will contact them, if you provide their details, and we will pay their fees if appropriate.

There is also no need to send in any information which isn’t personal to you, such as information about your medical diagnosis downloaded from the internet.

If the impact of your health condition or disability varies over time, you may want to keep a record of this and send this with your ‘How your disability affects you’ form. However, we understand that for some people this may be difficult and we will still be able complete an assessment without it.

Under what circumstances will Atos Healthcare request further evidence?

When we receive your ‘How your disability affects you’ form and the evidence you have provided, we will consider all the available information and determine if a fully justified report can be prepared based on the information we have.  If that is possible we will not need to ask you to attend a face-to-face consultation.  However, if we are not able to provide a fully justified report we will need to gather more information either by contacting the professionals you have listed on your claim form, or by inviting you to a face to face consultation.

The HP will, if necessary, request evidence from the most appropriate source for your individual case. This  could include;

  • A report from a health professional involved in your care, such as nurses, health visitors, psychiatric nurses, occupational therapists or physiotherapists,
  • A report from your GP,
  • A report from an NHS hospital,
  • A report from a local authority funded clinic,
    Evidence from any other professional involved in supporting you, such as social workers, key workers, care co-ordinators.

This is not an exhaustive list but provides an illustration of the type of people we can approach to get information to help assess the impact of your disability or condition on your daily life. If there is anyone in particular that you’d like us to contact if we need more information, it is important that you make this clear on your ‘How your disability affects you’ form – this will give us the consent we need to be able to write to them if needed. Please provide contact details for these professionals.

Bringing evidence to the consultation

It’s a good idea to submit as much relevant information as possible with your ‘How your disability affects you’ form as this will help us get a better understanding of how your health condition or disability affects you, and it might mean we don’t need to ask you to attend a consultation at all.

However, if you are asked to a face to face consultation you can still bring recent or new evidence along with you to your consultation. This could include any of the information mentioned above as well as:Atos-Healthcare-pip-additional-evidence-asthma

  • Current medication packets or other current medication such as inhalers;
  • Medical aids such as walking sticks, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses;
  • Any new information that you’ve received since submitting your forms or which you’ve not sent in already.

All of this information helps to give the HP more information about how your health condition or disability affects you.

Once our HP has written the report, we will send any evidence we have gathered, and copies of any evidence you have brought with you to the consultation, to the DWP along with the report written by the HP.  It will all be available for the Decision Maker to use in making a decision on your PIP claim.

 See also:

What is a PIP Consultation?

Share this post

Taking a companion to your PIP consultation

If you need to attend a face-to-face consultation as part of your claim for PIP, we would encourage you to think about bringing a companion with you.  A companion can be anyone you choose: from a friend or family member to a support worker or carer and in our experience we know that having someone with you can help to make attending a consultation much less stressful.

Atos-Healthcare-claimant-and-chaperone-at-assessment-centre-ATS9239Of course a companion can provide practical or emotional support on the journey to the consultation and whilst waiting to go in.  But in some cases, with your permission, they may also be able to provide a valuable contribution to the discussion with the health professional (HP) in helping you to answer their questions. For example, if you have mental, cognitive impairment or learning difficulties a companion may be able to help you give an accurate account of how your health condition or disability impacts on your daily life.

The HP will be keen to hear extra information from your companion but it is important to note that the consultation and discussion will always be focused towards you as it is essential that the HP’s advice is based on your actual circumstances. 

Whether you choose to bring someone with you just for company, for practical support or to help you during the consultation please just let the HP know who they are and how you would like them to be involved.

Claiming travel expenses for companions

You can claim the cost of your companion’s travel from your home to the consultation location, and back to your home again. If you do this you should include Atos-Healthcare-HCP-with-claimant-and-chaperone-ATS9425details of your companion’s travel expenses on your own travel expense claim form, and submit your companion’s travel receipts with your own when posting your travel expense claim form back to us.

Arrangements for children during your consultation

We do understand that it may be sometimes be necessary to bring children to the consultation.  If you do need to bring young children with you, please also bring someone to look after them while you are having your consultation.

See also:

How to claim expenses for your PIP Consultations

Share this post

The Personal Independence Payment timeline

Personal Independence Payment, or PIP, has now been introduced across the country for all new claimants. It replaces Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16 to 64-years-old.

If you already receive DLA, the Department for Work and Pensions will send you a letter inviting you to apply for PIP. This won’t happen until October 2013 at the earliest.

To find out when PIP will be introduced for your circumstances, see our infographic below. 


Share this post

Will a face-to-face consultation always be required if I claim PIP?

A face-to-face consultation will be required for the majority of people having a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment.

PIP is a ‘personal’ payment and recognises that everyone is different. Even two people with the same condition can be affected in different ways – so a key part of the new benefit is making sure that the DWP can have a fuller understanding of how your disability or condition affects you.Atos-Healthcare-pip-face-to-face-assessment

In some situations, the Health Professional (HP) will be able to complete the assessment report using the information already provided by you and we will not need you to attend a consultation.

When you make a claim for PIP, the DWP will send us the information that you have provided. Our HPs will carefully review that information and will consider if a fully justified report can be prepared.  If that is not possible at this stage we may try to gather more evidence from someone involved in your care or we may ask you to attend a consultation.  We can seek evidence only from the people that you have noted on your ‘How your disability affects you’ form, so it is important that you provide a complete list and also include their full contact details. 

We are required to return our fully justified reports to DWP quickly and hence it is likely that we will schedule an appointment to see you even if we also seek further evidence from people you have nominated.  If sufficient evidence is received in time, we may cancel a scheduled appointment.  It is the responsibility of the HP to determine whether they are able to complete the assessment process without the need for a face to face consultation. 

For the majority of people, a face-to-face consultation will usually be necessary and is the best way to hear from you in your own words about how you are affected on a daily basis. Each claim is treated individually and the effects of a health condition or disability can vary from person to person.

See also:

What is a PIP Consultation?

Where will your Personal Independence Payment consultation take place?

Share this post