Archive for September, 2015

DLA is ending

Until recently only people with a new claim, or people whose Disability Living Allowance (DLA) award needed to be reviewed or was ending, have been assessed for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). The government is now starting to end DLA for those people with long term or indefinite DLA awards. This means that these people will need to make a claim for PIP in order to continue receiving support to cover some of the extra costs associated with their health condition or disability.

The DWP keep an up-to-date timetable for the rollout of PIP on their website.

The PIP Claim Process

In the first instance, all claims for PIP must be made to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) who will consider the claim eligibility criteria and, if they are met, they will refer the claim to be reviewed by a health professional (HP).  The role of the HP is to be independent from DWP and to assess the individual’s ability to carry out daily living activities as set out in the PIP criteria. The independent advice provided by our HPs is in the form of a report that details what parts of the PIP criteria you meet and where you require further support due to your illness or disability.

The PIP Assessment Process

In cases where sufficient relevant evidence is provided with and in the completed PIP Part 2 form, the HP will provide advice to the DWP without needing to see you face-to-face. However, the majority of people will need to be seen face-to-face. This is because in most cases, the HP will require more information on how your disability affects you to be able to provide an accurate report to DWP.

The HP undertaking the assessment is not trying to confirm the diagnosis of your condition; they are simply interested in how your disability or health conditions affect your ability to live independently. It is very common to find that the impact of similar conditions is different for each individual and indeed it is unlikely that everyone will respond in the same way to treatment. It is for these reasons that you may be asked to see an HP face-to-face so that they can listen to how your daily life is affected by the disability or health conditions that you have.

In some cases we will ask to see you face-to-face in a consultation centre because after reviewing your application, we feel that you will be able to make the journey. However, you should contact us using the phone number on the appointment letter if you feel that the journey will be too challenging.

You can find lots more information about the PIP assessment process on our website.

Share this post

Don’t forget your travel expenses form

If you have a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) consultation at one of the Atos Healthcare PIP centres or one of our partners’ centres, remember to collect a form for your expenses while you are there. You should always be offered one with an envelope to return it in (you don’t need to pay the postage).

What you can claim expenses forAtos-Healthcare-travel-expenses

You can claim your travel expenses from your home to the
centre. This includes if you travelled by public transport (bus or train for example) or in a car driven by you or someone you know. We can sometimes pay for you to travel by taxi if you need to, but you need to speak to us as long before the appointment as possible to discuss it as to claim for a taxi it needs to be authorised by us in advance.

You need to make sure that you keep any tickets or receipts that you get for your travel so that you can send them with the form. This includes receipts for parking if you needed to pay for it. If you travelled by car (but not a taxi) you need to say on the form how many miles you travelled. The money you get back is then worked out from that number at 25p per mile.

You can find all of this information and more like it on the Atos Healthcare PIP website. We have explanations on there of all of the parts of the PIP assessment process as well as information about how to get in touch with us if you need to.

Share this post